Project Description

The Brief

iSmash are the UK’s leading mobile device repair service and have helped over a million people to repair a phone rather than needing a new device. Despite being the market leader, their website runs on legacy systems that are tied to their stock management and as a result, the site has not been kept updated over the past few years due to the cost of making edits. This has lead to a reduction in conversion rate for online bookings as well as a decrease in people visiting their network of stores. They approached Bambu to improve conversion rate while working within the limitations of the existing site.

The Strategy

We initially began with a detailed CRO audit of the site, running a qualitative manual audit led by our strategy director. This focused on aspects of the site that were likely to be putting people off based on our knowledge from previous projects. While this was ongoing, we installed Hotjar and configured custom reports in GA4 that were then used for real world data analysis after two weeks. We used this data to inspect individual user sessions on the site and focus in on the pages within their funnel which led to the highest abandonment, exit and bounce rates, as well as pages within the funnel that had a particularly high average dwell time (indicating confusing content and visitor friction).

In addition, our team ran a stress test on the site, clicking through every possible link and button within their booking funnel to identify potential blockages. This simple but often overlooked process is always part of our CRO strategy and for iSmash it uncovered several dead ends and confusing responses from the site that helped contribute to an improvement in conversion rate.

The easiest solution would have been to simply recommend a full site rebuild, but the cost and time commitment of doing so was prohibitive. It was essential for us to think creatively and find solutions that maximised results while minimising expense, and one that could be deployed quickly.

Our strategy focused on deploying a custom funnel system called Leadshook which was inserted into the page flow and enabled us to build a set of custom user journeys that were interactive, fast loading and highly visual. This system is based on a no-code framework enabling us to work at pace, test and adjust on the fly, and involve multiple stakeholders across the business without the typical learning curve and technical knowledge needed for website edits. The whole system was designed to be easily inserted into their existing site and operate in parallel to the original user journey, and the only point where we needed to involve any developer resource was to complete the final step of dropping a code snippet into the site and setting up the traffic split to direct half the visitors to the original funnel and half to the new test.

The Result

Even prior to launching the test, conversion rate from land to booking increased by just over 2% by fixing the blockages that our stress testing identified.

The biggest jump came when the new funnels were deployed. Our original test funnel gave a 9% uplift against the control on the first day after launch. Within 3 weeks, we had optimised it to achieve a 13% uplift, and from there we shifted traffic towards the test variant. The second phase was to add in new test funnels to put head to head against the first version, which so far has taken us to a 16% uplift against the original control version.